SOHAM means " I AM HE". It signifies the identity of the INDIVIDUAL SOUL, ATMA with the SUPREME SOUL PARAMATMA. SOHAM means "THAT I AM". "SA" means "THAT" and "AHAM" means "I AM" . It is also termed "AJAPA GAYATRI".
Now watch the breath . The sound "SO" is produced when you inhale and "HAM" is produced when you exhale. This mantra is repeated by you unconsciously. Daily you are breathing 21,600 breaths or sohams.
The total breaths of 21,600 of a human body in 24 hours is distributed to the vital needs of the seven divisions in the body are as follows:-
No LOCATION OF PLEXUS CHAKRA BREATHS TIME CHAKRA BREATHS TIME
1 Sacral or Pelvic Plexus (Region between anus and genitals) Muladharam 600 6.01 am 砶.40 am
2 Hypogastric Plexus (Genitals) Svadishthanam 6000 6.41 am 砱.20 pm
3 3 Epigastric Plexus (Navel) Manipuram 6000 1.21 pm 砸.00 pm
4 Cardiac Plexus (Heart) Anahatam 6000 8.01 pm 砲.40 am
5 Carotid Plexus (Throat) Visuddham 1000 2.41 am 砳.46 am
6 Hypothalamus or Medulla Plexus (Point between the eyebrows) Ajna 1000 3.47 am 破.53 am
7 Cerebral Plexus (Top of cranium) Sahasrara 1000 4.54 am 砶.00 am
1. Sit in a suitable posture facing north.
2. Close your eyes.
3. Focus your mind at the tip of the nose.
4. Inhale slowly chanting "SO" mentally.
5. Retain the breath for 5 seconds.
6. Exhale the breath slowly chanting "HAM" mentally.
7. Repeat "SO" and "HAM" breathing meditation for 10 to 20 minutes daily in the morning and evening.
Morning between 4.30 to 6.00 am.
Evening between 5.30 to 7.00pm.
1. Clean the nostrils well.
2. Drink a small cup of fruit juice or milk.
3. Do not follow the breath to the end. Mindful you breathe in "SO" and mindful you breathe out"HAM".
4. Acknowledge and reject any thoughts which appear in your mind during meditation. Still your thoughts which will disappear slowly.
5. Train yourself daily and gradually, increase the duration of meditation . Practice makes perfect.
6. Negate the body while chanting "SOHAM " mantra. Try to identify yourself with the supreme soul.
7. Do not practise when you have cold and flu and in full stomach.
8. After a few months, you can practise "SOHAM" meditation while walking in the garden, sitting on a chair when traveling long distance for more than one hour and lying on the bed before sleeping.
BENEFITS OF BREATHING MEDITATION AND "SOHAM" MANTRA MEDITATION
1. It purifies and calms the mind. Tranquility of the mind is attained.
2. It eliminates fatigue and stress and so improves physical fitness and relaxation.
3. It is beneficial to psychiatric, mental illness , insomnia and hypertensive persons.
4. It improves the lung function in healthy and asthmatic persons.